What Every Pastor Ought to Know About Church Insurance
Most churches have at least two forms of insurance coverage:
Property Insurance – When a church wants to protect their buildings and their property (the contents of the buildings) they take out a property insurance policy.
General Liability – If someone gets hurt at your church and they want to sue you, general liability can cover the medical and legal bills associated with the claim.
There are a number of other specialized coverages available that consider everything from church vans to sexual misconduct.
Ultimately, you have to consider what lines of coverage you may need based off how good a fit the products are for your church and if they suit your needs.
Your church may consider purchasing separate insurance policies from multiple insurance companies, but you tend to find a better deal when you consider a church package policy offered by a single company.
A church package policy is a bundle of insurance products combined together for:
- Ease of Business
For example, a company like GuideOne Insurance will bundle together their Property and Liability coverage into one package called the FaithGuard® policy.
Church Insurance Questions?
Call us for help.
Serving Missouri and Illinois
p. (636) 669-0028
Vic Miller Insurance
1500 Wall St.
St. Charles, Missouri
Types of Church Insurance
Your church faces many types of risks that dictate the need for insurance coverage. These risks are referred to as “exposures.” Each type of exposure usually has a line of insurance coverage to match.
Key Person Replacement
Non-owned and Hired Auto Liability
Counselors Liability (licensed and fee-based)
Directors, Officers and Trustees Liability
Employee Benefits Liability
Employment Practices Liability
Lost Wages Coverage
Key Employee Life
International Travel Coverage
Sexual Misconduct Liability
Our Most Popular Church Package Policy
GuideOne’s FaithGuard® Church Policy
FaithGuard® is the most popular church package policy that we offer. It meets the special needs that churches face everyday. The coverage it offers can be divided into two main categories: property coverage and general liability coverage.
From GuideOne’s FaithGuard® Policy
Property Coverage – Property coverage includes such items as your buildings, contents, signs, property in the open, and fences. Your policy will automatically include coverage for standard items, along with many non-standard items, such as the following:
- Equipment breakdown, including computers, boilers, and electrical equipment.
- Newly acquired or constructed property (our limits exceed industry standards).
- Pastor’s personal property.
- Ordinance or law – when building updates are required by ordinance following a covered loss.
- Stained glass windows.
- Personal Effects and property of others on a worldwide basis; for example, property lost on a mission trip.
- Fire and security alarm upgrade – reasonable additional costs to upgrade your system when replaced due to a covered cause of loss.
- Utility services interruption (direct damage and time element) for example, a storm knocks out usage of your utilities and causes damage.
- Automated external defibrillators (AED).
- Indirect loss, such as the loss of church income and tuition fees resulting from a covered peril, including a violent incident; e.g., a church intruder.
- Earthquake sprinkler leakage
General Liability Coverage – General liability coverage protects the church against claims of bodily injury or property damage arising out of its premises or operations for which the church may be legally liable. It also protects the church against its liability for personal and advertising injury offenses, such as libel and slander. Medical expense coverage is also included, regardless of fault.
FaithGuard Church includes General Liability protection against claims resulting from ministers’ spiritual counseling. It also covers expenses resulting from a violent incident occurring during a church sponsored activity.
Those afforded General Liability protection include church members, employees, officials, staff, and volunteers acting on behalf of the church.
Since 1981, we have worked with churches and individuals in many capacities. There aren’t any scenarios that we haven’t seen before. Allow us to provide a quote on your next church insurance policy.
Serving Churches in Missouri and Illinois
- Customized policies and plans specific to churches and ministries – We cover specific liabilities that churches are prone to (ex: counseling with pastors and church leaders, youth camps, sexual misconduct, etc.), we will customize a comprehensive church insurance plan to cover all of your associated risks.
- Comprehensive protection – We have access to the most extensive network of church policies and plans available.
- Proactive planning and ongoing service — After your policy needs are evaluated and a plan is put in place, your coverage will continually be reviewed by our staff. We make it our job to stay up-to-date on what is going on with your church.